COOP. PRODUTTORI LATTE E FONTINA – Milk and Fontina Cheese Processing

COOP. PRODUTTORI LATTE E FONTINA – Milk and Fontina Cheese Processing

Sector

Dairy products


Company

The Cooperativa Produttori Latte e Fontina was founded in 1957 with the aim of producing, ageing and marketing the agricultural product per excellence of Valle d’Aosta: FONTINA. The cooperative started off with 46 founding partners and today counts approximately 300 partners from private companies to cooperative dairies and alps.  In 1958, the first year of activity, less than 40,000 cheeses were produced by the partners, today the number stands at approximately 350,000.


The Cooperative, UNI EN ISO 9001:2000 certified, has a turnover of around
€ 20,000,000. Its most important market is Italy, in particular the North, which represents about 80% of the total business volume, followed by the centre (8%) and the South which together with the islands represents 2% of turnover. The most important foreign markets, which overall represent about 10% of the sales volume, are the USA, Germany, Switzerland, France, Belgium and Great Britain, and small quantities are also exported to Australia, Russia and Japan.
 

 
Our solution

In this context a packing department was designed specifically to meet the requirements of Coop. Produttori Latte e Fontina of Aosta.

The portioning machine can be programmed to obtain fixed weight portions or a fixed number of slices cut from a cheese for variable weight packing. A specially designed automated device conveys the slices of Fontina to the horizontal packing machine.
The packing machine can handle both BDF film and ATM film for bag packaging so that the packaging most suited to the specific requirements of the national and foreign markets can be selected.

When the products packed in BDF film come out of the heat-shrink tunnel, they are conveyed to the Mercury Plus weighing, control and labelling system, which, based on the orders entered (hence depending on the customer) is able to weigh and label both variable and fixed weight products.
In the case in point, the double label printing system and application from above and below allows extremely accurately applying a brand label on the top side and a technical data label on the bottom side. This label bears the EAN barcode, all the weight indications (variable or predetermined), dates, amounts and anything else programmed in the management system for a specific customer.

An accessory printing system allows producing labels for the total pieces per box and total boxes per pallet when reaching the preset number of pieces or, more simply, when requested by the operator.

A packing list can also be printed for products to be exported indicating the weights and totals in kilograms and pounds.
The application is able to print the pallet labels with SSCC code in line with modern and efficient logistics.

The orders executed in this way, both fixed and variable weight, are recorded in the system with all the totals and the respective batches, allowing efficient accounting, invoicing and warehouse management without needing any further manual operations thus eliminating dead times, wastefulness and errors.

The system can be flexibly used to manage both large orders for fixed weight cheese portions and medium-small orders for variable and fixed weight portions with extremely fast format changes thus providing a high degree of flexibility with contained dead times.

In the case of fixed weight portions, Mercury Plus can check the package weight in accordance with the requirements of Law 690 and Pres. Decree 391 and produce a final report.


Advantages

  • Programming of fixed weight portions or a fixed number of slices cut from a cheese
  • Double printing system and label application from above and below
  • Brand label (top) and technical data label (bottom)
  • The label bears the EAN barcode and all the weight indications
  • Labels for total pieces per box and total boxes per pallet
  • Printing of a packing list (kg, lb)
  • Pallet labels with SSCC code
  • Accounting, invoicing and warehouse management without needing any further manual operations thus eliminating dead times, wastefulness and errors
  • Flexibility of system use.